Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sophie's 2nd Birthday

Sophie's birthday was the Wednesday before Christmas. Last year the weekend before Christmas we celebrated Sophie's birthday, but this year Chloe's surgery was the weekend before Christmas. Instead of trying to force Chloe into a celebration for her sister during her recovery, and for sanity sake of trying to plan a birthday party the week of Christmas, we decided simple was better.
Chloe and I went to walmart and I let her pick out cake mix for Sophie's cake. Chloe thought a pink cake would be perfect as she picked up a box of strawberry cake mix. She wanted her sisters cake to have sprinkles and balloons. Sprinkles, easy. Balloons?? on a cake?? That one was a little tougher.. As we were picking out the sprinkles Chloe noticed cupcake papers (those things you line the cupcake tin with) and they had balloons on them. She was sold. We were no longer making her sister a cake, we were making her dozens on cupcakes. As I was browsing the candles trying to decide if I should light 2 candles or get a number 2 candle I noticed the balloon candles. Sold. Sophie's balloon themed pink cupcakes were now complete with balloon candles.
We got home and Chloe was exhausted from the adventure to walmart so she and Sophie took a nap. I was going to make the cupcakes while they napped and that way when Chloe woke up she could decorate them. Only, I feel asleep too. I woke up to my sister calling for a ride home from work. So I woke up the girls, dressed them and drove out to the resort (which is so far away!!). Since we were already there, my sister and I took the girls across the street so they could pet the horses (to bad I forgot my camera). By the time we got home it was almost 6. I still hadn't made the cupcakes!!!
So I quickly threw all the ingredients together, mixed it, poured it, and baked it. While they were baking I started on dinner. Just as dinner was about to be served the cupcakes were done. I pulled them out of the oven and put them on a make shift cooling rake on our back porch so they would cool faster. By the time everyone was finished eating they were cool enough for decorating.
Since Bobby was at work, and it was just the girls, my sister and myself, I only decorated 4 cupcakes and set the rest aside for later. We sang Happy Birthday to Sophie, and enjoyed our cupcakes.
Chloe didn't want to eat her cupcake. She said it hurt her mouth. She was still kind of tired from all of her pain medicine. So I was happy that I at least got her to smile for me and take one picture before she put her cupcake away and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment